Thanks to everyone’s suggestions last week of recommended books! By request, here is a recap with all the suggestions in one place:
- The Eye of the World (and subsequent books, including the most recent Gathering Storm) by Robert Jordan
- Earth to Hell (part of the Dark Heavens series) by Kylie Chan
- Ombria in Shadow by Patricia McKillip
- Children of Chaos series by John C. Wright
- The Magicians by Lev Grossman (I’ve been in a holds queue for this book at my library since September!)
- The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (I read this several years ago and it was great)
- Twilight Zone: 19 Original Stories on the 50th Anniversary ed. by Carol Serling
- Enola Holmes series by Nancy Springer
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (just finished reading this. I wouldn’t have thought I’d like it, since at the start it seems to be like a horrible version of Survivor and I hate reality TV, but this book was great!)
- Sword of Shannara series by Terry Brooks (it’s been so long since I read these!)
- The Consolations of Philosophy by Alain De Botton
- Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa
- Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire
I’ve got most of the above titles which I’ve never read before now on hold at my library, and I guess I just have to hope they’ll trickle in slowly instead of all arriving in a great lump like what happened last week. Oh, but on that note, allow me to add to the list of recommended books Graceling by Kristin Cashore. It’s a YA fantasy about a warrior girl who is “graced” with an extraordinary ability to fight, and her struggle to understand her power and herself. I’d put it in the “pretty good” category as opposed to the “great!” category, but I include it because it was still an enjoyable page-turner.
If you’ve got more you’d like to contribute, please keep ‘em coming!